Tweet This!

Author Mark Stephen Levy

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States
I was so inspired by my adventures while traveling throughout Europe, India, Nepal, Tibet, China, and other exotic locales that I had to write something. Then one day early last year, an idea started to take form quickly. I was finally enabled to weave some of my stories and integrate them into one of the best love story adventures to come along in years.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

SOWING THE SEEDS OF THE STORY FOR OVERLAND


I was a worker bee, but yearned to travel. The yearn was growing into an internal frenzy. I was constantly, almost obsessively just wanting to pick up and go, as the need to travel, yet not doing anything about it, weighed heavy. One day, I walked by my favorite bookstore and on a whim and stopped in to browse the travel section. I found a Lonely Planet guidebook of India. That was the turning point and as I read more and more as if it were a page turning novel, there was no looking back.
I read that the monsoon season ended in India the end of August and a much better time to be there. Certainly I didn't want to be all wet all the time. It was May 30th when I left the US, and decided I cound't wait any longer. I quit my job, subleased my apartment, lent my car to a friend, and purchased a round-the-world ticket that was good for one year. The whole concept of the ticket was you would travel on a certain itinerary on the ticket, go where ever you want, just depart from the city and move on the the next one on the ticket. I did it!

I spent three months in Europe, just biding my time, while having the time of my life. On my birthday, August 16, at age 32, I finally flew my ultimate destination: India. A mishap caused my backpack to not make the flight on a brief transit stop from Sri Lanka to Southern India. I spent two frustrating hours in the Trivandrum airport lining up my backpack with the promise it would show up a few days later.

Resigned to the fact that there was nothing I could do, I took my trusty India guide and asked an auto rickshaw driver to take me to the Hotel Blue Sea. As I was whisked through the balmy palm lined, slow paced, exotic dirt-paved roads, my lost backpack was quickly forgotten. In that one instant, my life had changed forever.I realized in that one instant that life as I knew it, were to be different for the rest of my life.

I had read in the Lonely Planet Guide book that the Hotel Blue Sea was owned by two brothers. When I arrvied, a young man apporached me while climbing out of the auto rickshaw, I said "ah you must be one of the brothers". He responded in all confidence and pride in his sing-song English and tilt of the head, "I am one brother, he is one brother and we are two brothers. Your are welcome at the Hotel Blue Sea."

I was welcome at the Hotel Blue Sea. He didn't realize, nor did I really, that this brother on behalf of one billion people from India, welcomed me. Immediately I felt at home, at peace really. A kind of peace I had never felt before. And I had nothing on me except my hidden empire of some travelers checks, and passport.

That day forward, it could be called B.I and A.I.=Before India and After India= Why? What happened on that first day, what happened after that?

Stay tuned for part 2...

No comments: